Monday, December 10, 2012

Y.E.S.

Dear Ty,

Seven years ago, I was living across the country from Daddy.  He was in Seattle, and I was in Parma.  I missed him terribly.

Seven years ago, I called Daddy crying and told him I was going to buy a plane ticket to see him.  He told me that if I bought a plane ticket, I would miss him because he had planned on coming home to surprise me. I was elated.  He told me not to be disappointed, though, if it was just a normal visit.  I knew what he meant.  The visit was enough.

Seven years ago, everyone else thought I was surprised to see him on the Friday night at Outback when I walked in to find him sitting with my parents.  I wasn't, but that didn't make it any less wonderful.

Seven years ago, I woke up on a Saturday morning to spend a glorious day with Daddy making Christmas cookies, singing, dancing, laughing, and being silly.  My heart was so happy.

Seven years ago, Daddy took me to dinner at my favorite restaurant, the English Inn.  We had great dinner, great conversation, and great love.

Seven years ago, your Daddy asked me to walk out back with him to look at the garden area.  I thought he was nuts.  It was freezing, and I was in heels carrying a box of leftovers.  No, I did not want to walk in the snow.  What was there to see?  A bunch of snow?  I went anyway.

Seven years ago today, your Dad asked me the most important question of my life.  Well, we think he did.  It was all such a blur that neither one of us really know what happened, and presumably I said yes.  Before we knew it, we were at home making phone calls and drinking corky wine (that's a whole other story) with Grandma and Grandpa.

Seven years ago today set me on my way to a life that far exceeds my big dreams and makes me believe I can realize even bigger ones.  I say yes to your Dad every day and make a choice to be best buds forever and yes to you and yes to everything that comes along with this crazy wonderful life of ours.

Seven years ago today, Daddy liked it and put a ring on it.  Seven years later, I still thank God for that every day.

Love you,

Mom   

No comments:

Post a Comment